The Jewish Community of Larissa has existed for at least 1900 years. Over the years the Jewish Community of Larissa absorbed Jews from Europe (Ashkenazim), from Spain (Sephardim) and from the Peloponnese (Moraitis).
At the time of World War II Larissa had 1,020 Jews. During the occupation many Jews fled Larissa or went into hiding. On 24th March 1944, the Germans arrested the remaining Jews of Larissa and deported them to Auschwitz where 235 (36%) were exterminated. Only 5 returned.
Today the Community of Larissa has 350 members.
Photos by Emmanuel Santos
Back to Communities page